The New York Times reported Sunday that at least 20 deaths have been linked to carbon monoxide poisoning caused by cars left idling in garages when their drivers thought their engines were off. Of those, over half come with a keyless ignition system.
While automakers have installed warning systems into their keyless-ignition vehicles voluntarily, there is no universal standard among the systems.
A number of manufacturers have implemented a safeguard to help ensure that users are aware that their keyless vehicle is still running in hopes that they could avoid abusing deaths, but the problem remains an issue.
It may be hard to arrive at some sort of body that can regulate keyless cars, but the New York Times report makes it clear that this is a significant problem that needs to be addressed.
The National Highway Safety Administration recommends reading your car's manual for more information about the key fob for your keyless ignition works, never getting out of the auto while it is running and taking the key fob with you every time you leave your Vehicle. By 2011, the engineering group issued a report calling on automakers to install an "externally audible or visual alert" when all doors are closed, the key fob is not present and the engine is still running.
Drivers of keyless cars may want to be a little more cautious.
Isn't the easiest fix to this isolated problem for the cars to automatically turn off after a set number of minutes when being idle? Unfortunately, there's a risky downside, which The New York Times recently discovered.